Saturday, September 22, 2012

Getting the Khata of Your Apartment.

Well, I do not really enjoy visiting the Government offices. But one has to do what one has to do! So, I popped in at the Sarjapur Panchayat office to find out the details about applying for a Khata for my apartment.

I entered the Vice-chairman's office. He was with the Panchayat Development Officer. They were evasive and did not clearly spell out the documents that I needed to submit. So, I met the Chairman, Mr. Syed Ahmed Afzal. He explained in detail the process and the documents that I was required to submit. It is very simple. You have to submit:

  • An application ( on plain paper) addressed to the President of the gram panchayat.
  • A xerox of the sales deed. 

It normally takes about a month to get the khata. But Mr. Afzal clearly ( must say very bravely) told me to hand over the application to him directly since the staff might keep delaying on one pretext or the other. He said I would get the Khata in 2 days.

Fingers crossed!

21st October, 2012

I submitted the application for khata transfer certificate on 3rd October to the Bill Collector, Mr. Chinnappa. (No, I didn't hand over the application to the Chairman. I didn't want the yoke of obligation around my neck.) It normally takes a month to get this certificate. This is because, the PDO announces about the application in the gram panchayat area to validate the assertion of the property. The Khata Transfer Certificate is issued to the claimant if no claims are made within 30 days of applying. Fair!

And I got my Khata in 2 weeks!

No bribe paid!


No comments: